Friday, October 2, 2009

Causes and Effects: Which Are Most Efficient?

Cause and effect are big factors that make or break an argument. There are strong points and weak points within cause and effects. It's sometimes hard for me to choose which would be the best to support whatever I am arguing. The book stated that "you will always need to qualify what you say about causes and effects-to say that something could explain or that it suggests." I think that statement is very impotant because most of us do not have the authority to determine whether something will cause something else to happen. The book showed three different ways to organize cause and effect situations. "1. Idenitfy a cause and then discuss its effects. 2. Identify an effect and then trace its causes. 3. Identify a chain of causes and effects leading from one to another." I would probably most likely use the first or third one the most in my writings. Iliked the oreo demonstration in the book : ) and how it classifies the different types of oreos. The book mentioned two ways to compare and contrast. Their names are the block method, and the point by point method. I would personally use the point by point method because I think it gets the point across in a stronger sense. I also like to use figurative language to try to instill a mental image in the reader's mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment